Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy New Year!

This past weekend was Chinese New Year.  It is definitely the biggest Chinese Holiday and totally different from our New Year.  Our New Year is all about 1 night of partying.  Chinese New Year is a week+ of family dinners and fireworks.  Saturday night was New Year's Eve and I was invited to Jenny's house, a 1st grade teacher at my school.  I went with Jenny, her husband and their 2 kids to his parents house and his brother and sister-in-law were there as well.  I learned that the eve of Chinese New Year is to be spent with the parents of the husband and the second day of Chinese New Year is to be spent with the parents of the wife.  They also give red envelopes with money to the children and the elders.  I also learned that the reason they shoot off fireworks is based on an old superstition.  They believed that after dark-fall a monster, similar to a dragon, would come and get people who were alone and sleeping.  So, they shoot off fireworks to scare off the monster and stay awake until midnight to watch over the family.

On Sunday evening I went to Doris's house to have New Year's dinner with her family.  I had a lot of great traditional Chinese food and it was nice to spend the holiday with Taiwanese families.

Yesterday Chris went to go visit his mom at his brother's house.  He took his computer so that I could say hi to everyone on Skype and see Asher =)  Asher was soo cute on Skype.  He looked really confused about the person talking to him in the computer.  I suppose it was like watching a movie on TV but the character is just waving and saying your name repeatedly haha  I snapped a ton of pictures of Asher on Skype so I'll post a few of the best ones.

[gallery link="file"]

No comments:

Post a Comment