Friday, September 18, 2009

Taipei Weekend

Last weekend Jacquelyn and I took off on the Hualien train for Taipei.  We arrived Friday night, were greeted by our gracious hosts, and taken to Partyworld to sing some Karaoke.  (I'm tellin' ya, it's the thing to do here haha)  Luckily the weekend we were visiting happened to be during a huge event in Taipei, the Deaflympics.  There were teams from all over the world here competing and I've never even heard of this before!  So Saturday we went to see the Russia vs Germany semifinals match and unfortunately the extremely over dramatic, crybaby russians won =)  Then we went to go watch some table tennis at the arena but I have no idea who was playing whom or how far in the competition it was there.  For dinner we met Mama Leah at FRIDAYS!!  I cannot tell you how excited I was to have some fattening, greasy, American food  mmmmmm.  I got a bacon cheeseburger =)  They have cheeseburgers here, but I"m always a little frightened of the meat so never get one.  The menu said it had cheddar and mozzarella cheese on it, but turns out by mozzarella they meant the cheesesticks from their appetizer menu thrown on top of the burger.  It turned out to be one of the top 3 most delicious burgers I've ever had.  The top one is the creation of my boyfriend's brother, so I would say you should let him know that, but, I don't think the bf has time to read this anymore with his ridiculously time consuming job =(

[gallery link="file" columns="4"]

 

After burgers we went to a couple of bars and saw tons of foreigners.  It was exciting to see other whitey's and even some black people!  Taiwan actually had some diverse colors going on for a couple of weeks haha.  On Sunday we really only had time to do some shopping in the basement "malls" of the Taipei Main Station before getting on our train back to Hualien.

Taipei was a blast.   I really loved being in the city and riding the train everywhere.  I'd love to go back to try and get in many more sights but the next several weekends are booked.  One of which is FET weekend in Hualien!!  woohoo, Double tens day=party time!  (translation for American's= Several other foreign English teachers and some of our orientation leaders will be coming to visit on Oct 10th, which is similar to our Independence Day, but not as huge.)

This weekend we have a staff trip (mini vaca i guess) to the....power park?  i think that's what I was told.  I'm not exactly sure what to expect, but Cassandra is going too so that will definitely help.  Doris told me to bring a lantern (i.e. flashlight) so I have a feeling we'll be roughin' it a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I read all of your posts! I tried to figure out how I could get an email every time I signed up but I'm not sure I can. I think you have to get a plugin on your end. But I promise I read!

    And I know you like my bro's burgers best. I told him and I'm sure it gave him much pride! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a time consuming job but I still come around from time to time! I tried to figure out how tog et email alerts from your blog when you make a new post but I think that's something you'll have to do on your end.

    I told my brother that you still hold his burger as champion and I think he takes a lot of pride in that! Plus it helped him through a difficult golf game.

    Glad you had fun on the trip!

    ReplyDelete