Wednesday, April 21, 2010

procrastinating from my procrastinating

I'm supposed to be doing school work, of course.  Wednesday is my day completely free of teaching classes and should be the day I get a week's worth of work done, but no, I never do.  I usually use Wednesday to catch up with everyone on facebook and g-chat (something I also do throughout the rest of the week haha) and search school websites for open English positions- which isn't such a horrible use of my time.  But today, my procrastination from school work turned into a job search, which then turned into a "what do I want with my future" search which has now led me to procrastinating from that by writing a blog post.  I would.

It is completely overwhelming me to try and figure out what I want.  I'm 25, almost 4 years out of college, and 3 years into my "profession" yet I have no clue what I want to be doing in 10 years.  Today, I found one job that showed extra money if you have a National Board Certification.  So I started looking into that.  Turns out National Board Certification, waaay expensive (like 3 grand!) and do I want to be nationally certified in Secondary Language Arts Education?  I believe the answer is No.  I like to read, I like middle school students, I like to teach grammar, but do you know what I LOVE to do?  Schedule, plan, organize, map out, problem solve...etc.  So with that in mind, I've come up with two options: guidance counselor at a M.S. or H.S. or some sort of student affairs/admin assistant position at a University.  Either one of these are going to require a Master's degree.  So, I need to decide if this is really what I want for the next 30 years and which one.  There are pros and cons to both, naturally.

UUGGGHH... I wish I just knew, without a doubt, exactly what I wanted to do and how to do it.  Is that really so much to ask?

2 comments:

  1. well, kinda...being a person who loves to plan it only makes sense that not having a plan for your life would be frustrating. i think, though, that if you make a decision that you will then make plans which, in turn, will make you happy as you carry them out.

    it must suck to be a slave to OCD..=]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, not OCD, just a little anal about certain things.
    And it must suck to get up at 6:30 in the morning when you're still on the internet at 1am =)

    ReplyDelete